Summer Reading Programs will be held from June 28th
to August 12th this year. We look forward to sharing weekly
storytimes in the park, LEGO Club, craft kits, and
StoryWalks with you this summer! No registration is required
for any of the programs.
SUMMER READING BROCHURE
Take & Make Craft Kits for Kids are released at the beginning of every week. Take home a craft kit for each child aged 5-10 in your family. Make a fun and creative craft, and post it to our Facebook or Instagram accounts for extra fun! First come, first served.
• Tuesday, July 5th at 9:30 AM
• Monday, July 11th at 2 PM
• Monday, July 18th at 2 PM
• Monday, July 25th at 2 PM
• Monday, August 1 at 2 PM
• Monday, August 8 at 2 PM
Town of Porter Recreation Department is offering weekly fun & educational programming on Tuesday mornings in July.
• Tuesday, June 28 from 10-11 AM: Hula Hooping Hijinks with Benjamin Berry
• Tuesday, July 5 from 10-11 AM: Science Below Zero with the Buffalo Museum of Science
• Tuesday, July 12 from 10-11 AM: Balloon Sculpture: What will you create?
• Tuesday, July 19 from 10-11 AM: Oceans of Possibilities: Art & Sensory Play
• Tuesday, July 26 from 10-11 AM: An Electrifying Presentation with the Niagara Power Authority
LEGO Club returns this summer on Tuesday afternoons. Children of all ages can build the wild vehicles, buildings, and creatures in their imaginations.
• Tuesday, July 5 from 4-4:45 PM
• Tuesday, July 12 from 4-4:45 PM
• Tuesday, July 19 from 4-4:45 PM
• Tuesday, July 26 from 4-4:45 PM
• Tuesday, August 2 from 4-4:45 PM
• Tuesday, August 9 from 4-4:45 PM
Storytimes in Falkner Park
Ages 0-2: Short & Sweet for Babies from 11-11:15 AM You're never too little for reading and storytime! Miss S. is keeping it short and incorporating songs and shakers for a sweet little storytime for babies.
Ages 2-5: Toddler & Preschool Storytime from 10:30-11 AM Join Miss S. for stories and songs perfect for your toddlers and preschoolers. It will be an active romp of reading, singing and learning in Falkner Park! When storytime is finished, the splashpad turns on!
Ages 5-10: Niagara River Readers from 1-1:30 PM Storytime isn't just for toddlers! In this weekly storytime for those aged 5-10, we'll be sharing funny stories and learning about the life in the water around us. After storytime is a frozen treat for everyone!
See you for your choice of storytimes on:
• Wednesday, July 6
• Wednesday, July 13
• Wednesday, July 20
• Wednesday, July 27
• Wednesday, August 3
• Wednesday, August 10
StoryWalks in Falkner Park return every Friday evening from 5-8:30 PM. Families can walk...and read! The free community concerts will run from 6:30-8:30 every Friday night.
• Friday, July 8: Jabari Jumps by Gaia Cornwell
Coming for the concert? Joe and the Schmoes (classic rock of the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s)
• Friday, July 15: Only One You by Linda Kranz
Coming for the concert? 2nd Time Around (vintage rock)
• Friday, July 22: Crunch the Shy Dinosaur by Cirocco Dunlap
Coming for the concert? Waterstreet Quartet (jazz and musical standards)
• Friday, July 29: Mouse Paint by Ellen Stoll Walsh
Coming for the concert? Yacht Rockets feat. Jerry Andres (yacht rock)
• Friday, August 5: Marsh Music by Marianne Berkes
Coming for the concert? The Taverners (classic pop and rock... and possibly a request or two)
• Friday, August 12: Corduroy by Don Freeman
Coming for the concert? Bruce Wojick (acoustic)
New for Preteens & Teens! We have craft
kits available for preteens & teens this summer! New craft
kits will be available on a periodic basis (NOT weekly), so
check the Teen Room on every visit.
• Tuesday, July 5: pick up a friendship bracelet kit from the Teen Room!
Summer Reading Challenge will run from
June 28th to September 10th this year. How much can your child
read this summer? Kids have the whole summer to read as much
as they can and earn great prizes! There are three easy ways
to register and log reading time for the Summer Reading
• Phone or tablet: download the ReadSquared app
• Computer: use the ReadSquared website
• On paper: Pick up reading logs at the Library! SUMMER READING BROCHURE
Evening Book Club is meeting on Wednesday,
July 13th at 7 PM. We will be holding this meeting live at the
Library, but we will also be offering a simultaneous Zoom
option! We will be discussing Lincoln Highway by Amor
Towles. This book came out in 2021, and it has received rave
reviews for its "multi-layered literary styling while
providing [fans with] an array of new and richly imagined
settings, characters, and themes."
All are welcome! To receive a copy of the book, you can order it here. If you have questions or you'd like to receive the Zoom invitation to the meeting, please contact Sonora at 745-3555 or email@example.com.
Afternoon Book Club is taking a summer break. We will resume meeting at the Lewiston Senior Center on September 20th with a discussion of Educated by Tara Westover.
Library Board of Trustees is meeting on Monday, July 25th at 7 PM. The meeting will be held in person at the Youngstown Free Library. Meeting reports are available online the weekend before the meeting. There will be no meeting held in August.
Sunday, August 7 will be Somewhere's BBQ
Smoke-Out Contest & Tasting. Pat Stack is organizing this
event, so please direct your questions to him--should be a
Friday, October 14 will be the Youngstown Free Library's first Meat Raffle. It will be held at the Youngstown Volunteer Fire Company from 6-9 PM. This will be a fantastic chance to win meat for your freezer, enjoy drinks and food with your friends and neighbors, and support the Youngstown Free Library!
We will need dozens of volunteers to make this Meat Raffle event a success! If you are interested in helping during the Meat Raffle, we would really appreciate it; please mark your calendar now and we'll have more information for volunteers in the coming months. Thank you!
Here are some highlights from our current Safety Plan,
which was approved by the Library Board of Trustees on March
4, 2022. As always, our top priority is the safety of staff
members and patrons.
• Masks are now optional for all patrons and staff. We encourage anyone with any ongoing health concerns, whether for themselves or others, to continue wearing a mask. We assure you that your choice to do so will not result in any person being harassed or excluded from any program, space, or experience provided by the Youngstown Free Library.
• All staff members and volunteers are screened daily to ensure that everyone is feeling well.
• We are cleaning all public and work areas on a regular basis.
Please feel free to review our full Safety Plan.
Youngstown Free Library Safety Plan
Please contact the Director if you have any questions or concerns.
The mission of the Youngstown Free Library is to be a community center which inspires learning and provides access to a vast range of information and resources for patrons of all ages.
The Youngstown Free Library Board of Trustees meetings are held on the last Monday of the month, with the following exceptions: in May, the Board meets on the 3rd Monday of the month, and the Board has no meetings in August or December. The public is always welcome to attend.